Wildflowers of the United States
Welcome to USWildflowers.com
I hope you find the wildflower information and photos on this site useful in your quest to enjoy and identify wildflowers of the United States. There are 1304 photographs of 437 wildflower species on the detail pages, and additional photographs in the journal entries and photo albums. Please note that in some cases I keep separate records for subspecies; in those cases each subspecies is included in my "species count." There are also some non-flowering plants of interest (Ground Cedar, for example) which are also included here.
Please do not consider my identification as authoritative. I am not a professional botanist - I'm just a budding hobbyist - and there is a high likelihood that some identifications are incorrect.
- Wildflower Journal:
My U.S. Wildflower photography and identification journal.
- Wildflower Index:
U.S. Wildflower database index by Family.
- Wildflower list:
Database listing with thumbnails and descriptions of
437 U.S. Wildflower species I've 'identified.' If you want to narrow the list to only those found in a specific state, see the State Reference List below.
- Wildflower thumbnail list:
Thumbnails without descriptions of those 437 U.S. Wildflower species. I find this list easier to scan for a particular flower.
- The Pocket at Pigeon Mountain Information about one of Georgia's premier natural wildflower sites, The Pocket at Pigeon Mountain, including the Shirley Miller Wildflower Trail. Included are printable identification photo lists covering the spring wildflower season.
- Wildflower Photo Albums Albums of some photos taken at specific locations, and albums of other things I've seen while photographing wildflowers. I've FINALLY started adding some new stuff - a Kleinschmidt Grade album is now available
Blooming now in north Georgia: Butterfly Milkweed - Asclepias tuberosa
Search Our Database of 437 Species
Enter any portion of the Scientific
or Common Name (or both)
Do a general Google search of the entire site:
Follow USWildflowers on Twitter
Looking for Wildflowers for a specific state? Check here:
About the State Reference List:
The State Reference page include three things:
- A list of websites that may help in identifying wildflowers for the selected state. I've looked at each of the sites listed and they appear to be useful. I use some of the sites regularly for wildflower identification. If you know of a site that should be added to this list, send me an email at email@example.com - no promises of inclusion, but I will give it consideration.
- A thumbnail photograph and web page link for each color of species of wildflowers for each color of species of wildflowers in this site's database that, according to the USDA Plants Database or my personal observation are found in the selected state, even though the photograph is probably from Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Idaho, or North Carolina. From there you can list all of the state's wildflowers that we have represented, or only those for a color range. Most photographs are by me, although some are contributed by others. The identification is by me, and while I have done my best to be accurate, I am not a professional botanist, and there is a high likelihood that some identifications are incorrect. Please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you find errors.
- A list of some wildflower identification books available at Amazon.com that cover the selected state. I have noted the books that I own and use myself. In the other cases I have read the description and reviews of the book to determine if they seem appropriate. I get a very small referral fee if you purchase through these links. My wildflower hobby is certainly not a profit-making venture, so if you can help offset my costs by making your Amazon purchases through these links, that would be very much appreciated.
1Th 4:11-12 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. (NIV)